Student Experience Program
1-10 DECEMBER 2023
Thank you to all those aspiring students who applied for our NextGen Medics Program.
Students from across Australia who are at varying stages of their health journey, applied from within the study areas of Medicine, Biomedical Science, Allied Health, Nursing, Midwifery, Optometry, Clinical Physiology, Psychology, Dentistry, Paramedicine…the list was endless and inspiring.
We interviewed and read applications from students who will make wonderful health professionals and would have made a significantly positive contribution to our NextGen Medic program; it was a challenging task to choose only ten students. We wish all applicants the best of luck with their study and welcome new applications for the 2024 program, in the new year.
We look forward to introducing our December 2023 NextGen Medic cohort in the coming months; you can follow their journey on our socials.
Heart of Australia’s unique student experience program. NextGen Medics gives students a first-hand insight into health inequity in rural and remote Australia. The program shows them the life-saving and life-changing contribution they can make as a doctor or healthcare professional working in rural and remote Queensland.
Applications are now closed for the 2023 program.
We invite you to apply when it re-opens in 2024.
The Heart of Australia NextGen Medics Program is proudly supported by Boehringer Ingelheim.
NextGen Medics- December 2023
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Pre-Med, Science & Health
Bachelor of Nutrition & Dietetics
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Science, Master of Public Health
Bachelor of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine, Bachelor of Exercise Science, Bachelor of Engineering
Bachelor of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine, Bachelor of Exercise Science, Doctor of Philosophy
Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Biomedical Science
Bachelor of Nursing, Bachelor of Biomedical Science
NextGen Medics- June 2023
Doctor of Medicine and Bachelor of Physiotherapy
Bachelor of Nursing and Midwifery
Doctor of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine, Bachelor Social Science, Grad Cert Appl. Gerontology
Bachelor Biomedical Science and Graduate Dip. Clinical Psychology
Bachelor of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine, Bachelor Medical Science
Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery
Bachelor Nutrition and Dietetics
NextGen Alumni- June 2023
Bachelor of Medicine
Gold Coast, QLD
Bachelor of Sport and Exercise Science
Darling Downs, QLD
Professional Education Program
How do I apply & what is the process?
There are three steps within the application process:
- Application EOI Survey: Click the application button when it appears to submit your EOI for the upcoming NextGen Medics. This is a series of questions, as well as a short written submission addressing selection criteria.
- Shortlisted Interview: If your application is shortlisted, you will receive a notification for an interview. You will be designated an hour to interview with a small panel online and must be able to attend this interview at the designated timeframe.
- Notification of Success: Each applicant will be notified about the outcome of their application. All requested documentation must be submitted immediately after successful notification, including immunisation evidence.
There will also be a online onboarding session prior to a full group induction which will take place on the first day of the program, held at the Heart of Australia office.
When will the next NextGen program take place?
The current program is scheduled for December 2023, and is closed for applications. The next program will take place in 2024.
Applicants must ensure they are able to commit to being on the program for the whole time.
How does the program work?
The program provides current medical, allied health and health students who have completed at least a year of study with the opportunity to experience Heart of Australia’s innovative service delivery model.
Students will spend their blocks immersed in Heart of Australia’s program, experiencing the locations, the communities, the medicine and the logistics that make it all happen.
- Gain first hand, in-person insights into the health inequity in rural and remote Australia, meeting real people and hearing their stories.
- Gain first-hand acess to healthcare practice in a mobile clinic in rural settings.
- Understand the life-saving and life-changing impact that specialists can have in rural and remote communities
- Experience how easy it is to practice specialist medicine on our mobile medical clinics with the support of the Heart of Australia logistical, administrative and clinical teams
- Understand how they can contribute to rural and remote medicine with just a few days each quarter – without making a permanent move or relocating to the bush.
- Experience and fall in love with the beauty of the Australian Outback – its landscapes, communities and characters.
What specialist services does Heart of Australia offer?
Specialist services currently being offered on the ‘Heart Trucks’ include cardiology, cardiac sonography, endocrinology, gastroenterology, gynaecology, radiology, neurology, psychology and sleep and respiratory services.
Where scheduling allows we aim for NextGen Medics students to engage with a minimum of two specialities, plus cardiac sonography and radiology.
Who is eligible to apply?
The NextGen Medics program is open to students who are currently enrolled as students (in good standing) in a medical, allied health or health-related degree and have completed one year of study.
NextGen Medics welcomes applications from students based outside Australia and from across the country.
How many students will be accepted?
This year we will be increasing our intake of students to provide more opportunities to those who are passionate about pursuing rural health. 20 students will participate in the 2023 NextGen Medics Program.
Small cohorts provide an excellent opportunity for enhanced engagement with our team while also accommodating the logistical constraints of working on-board the Heart Trucks.
What type of students make great NextGen Medics applicants?
- Students (medical, allied health and health students) who have a strong interest in rural and regional medicine and health care.
- Students who are interested in making a difference to communities experiencing health inequity.
- Students who are interested in learning what it is like to be a doctor (or health professional) in rural and regional Queensland, and the pathways to making it happen.
- Students who are considering becoming specialists and are curious about how you can help rural and regional communities with just a few days work a quarter.
- Students who have demonstrated their commitment to rural and regional health care through club memberships, placement or course selections and alike will be highly regarded.
- Students who have an existing connection to rural and regional communities and who are eager to serve those communities.
What are the highlights of the program?
- An exclusive experience very few students have the opportunity to enjoy.
- The opportunity to experience clinical hours in a unique, innovative, mobile clinic setting.
- The opportunity to experience the mobilisation and medicine for rural and remote communities.
- The opportunity to experience rural and remote communities.
- The opportunity to engage with Heart of Australia’s highly experienced specialists in a small group cohort setting.
- The opportunity to make connections with leading health professionals in rural and remote Queensland,
- The opportunity to start understanding and charting their rural career pathway.
Is there a participation fee for the program?
Heart of Australia is proud to offer scholarships for the 20 student places in the 2023 cohorts, with support from the Federal Government and our program partners Boehringer Ingelheim.
Costs covered by the program include:
- The costs associated with air and ground transport (as required) to transfer students to and from our Heart Trucks in their rural and regional locations
- Overnight accommodation during multi-day remote blocks
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner each day during blocks
- NextGen student polo shirts (uniforms)
- Programmed tourist attraction entry (refer program)
- Administration and logistics
Please note the scholarships make this program highly desirable and the application process highly competitive. All NextGen Medics are strongly encouraged to attend the Annual Gala, which will cost approximately $195.
What’s not covered by the program fee?
The program fee covers all the main costs. Additional items you might like to budget for include snacks, tourist souvenirs, and non-scheduled attractions.
Transport between the students’ home and Headquarters or the nominated departure/arrivals airport is the student’s responsibility.
“The wide discrepancy between rural and city access to specialist services, health challenges isn’t insurmountable – there are solutions and future doctors like me can take a role in tackling this gap”